University of Northern Iowa STEM Ambassadors are undergraduate students passionate about their STEM major. Each STEM Ambassador represents one of the UNI STEM departments and the University at state, regional, and on-campus for UNI Students and outreach to K-12 students, educators and the public. Apply to become a STEM Ambassador Today!
Grants and Scholarships
At the University of Northern Iowa students complete a single application to apply for merit, achievement and need based scholarships. Need based scholarships also require the completion of a FAFSA. Completion of these two forms ensures consideration for available scholarships. See UNI Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for more information about scholarships in general. Students pursuing STEM degrees should inquire specifically about the following scholarship opportunities:
Mathematics Education Scholarships
- Irvin and Dorothy Brune Math Education Scholarship ($1,000 - 1,500)
- Conrad and Jeannette Baumler Mathematics Education Scholarship ($500 - 950)
- Carl and Wanda Wehner Mathematics Teaching Scholarship ($750 - 2,250)
Science Education Scholarships
- Albert A. Potter Science Scholarship ($200 - 1,000)
- Grace Ohrtman Endowed Scholarship ($1,000 - 2,000)
- Floyd Scholarship ($200 - 1,000)
- Kenyon Scholarship ($200 - 500)
- Myrle M. Burk Kappa Delta Pi Science Education ($800)
Technology Education Scholarship
- Duncan Lampman Scholarship (up to $1000)
Carl and Wanda Wehner Scholarship
Junior or senior computer science or computer information systems major; 3.0 cumulative and major GPA; and must have completed 810:153 (Design and Analysis of Algorithms) at the time of application. Financial need is also considered. ($750)
For students majoring in accounting with a double major or minor in a STEM program (biology, chemistry, computer science, geology, industrial technology, mathematics or physics.) May apply when a sophomore to be awarded for junior year. Renewable if 3.5 GPA is maintained. ($$11,566)
James W. Kercheval Memorial Scholarships
For incoming freshman with serious interest in pursuing a major and career in Chemistry or Biochemistry. ($5,000 to $8,000)
CHAS - Science Technology & Mathematics Scholarships
For incoming freshman, eligible students are planning to major in one of the following departments: Biology, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Earth Science, Computer Science, Earth Science, Industrial Technology, Mathematics or Physics. (renewable; up to $6,000)
Great lakes STEM Scholarship
To be eligible, a student must: Be enrolled full-time at a public or private two- or four-year college, university, or vocational-technical school. Have a field of study identified in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics department of the college, university, or vocational-technical school they are attending. Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75. Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Demonstrate financial need. ($2500)
Or search for department specific scholarships here.
About STEM Careers
O*NET - Your Online Source for Career Exploration
O*NET STEM Career Search provides detailed information about hundreds of STEM fields. Green careers and growing careers are easy to identify (green leaf, yellow sun). Learn about the every day tasks, technology and tools used, required knowledge and skills, and much more about each career. O*NET is a great site to begin a career search; each career is linked to related careers and is described in detail. O*NET's data comes from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. O*NET career pages often link to CareerOneStop and mySkills myFuture.
CareerOneStop goes beyond exploring careers by providing job seeking tools.
- CareerOneStop Fastest Growing Occupations requiring a 4-yr Degree
- CareerOneStop Careers with Most Current Openings (4-yr degree)
- CareerOneStop Iowa's Current Employment Trends (select desired careers to see if outlook is growing or shrinking)
More STEM Career Websites
- New to the workforce? Check out My Next Move or looking for a new job or to re-enter the workforce - Check out mySkills myFuture
- Career Cornerstone Center includes podcasts and other resources about STEM fields.
- Learn the 10 Myths about Negotiating Your First Salary from the Harvard Business Review
- Learn about and/or sign up for a Start Smart Workshop at UNI.