Upcoming and Annual Professional Development Opportunities
Also see the event calendar (below)
Science Education Update Conferences
UNI College of Humanities, Arts, and Sciences (CHAS) offers an annual one-day Science Education Update Conferences. Faculty present the latest research in each discipline as well as research on innovative teaching methods and materials. Participants experience collegial conversations with university faculty and secondary science teaching majors on relevant issues and learn about upcoming professional development opportunities at UNI.
Iowa's Geological Resources Workshop for Teachers
Applications DUE: February 13, 2018 Online via Adobe Connect: March 11 & 25 and April 8 & 22, 2019, on the UNI campus: June 10-13, 2019. Earn two units of graduate credit and learn about Iowa's geological resources through an activity-based short course (EARTHSCI 6233 Iowa's Geological Resources for Teachers) through the University of Northern Iowa. The course begins with an online component in the spring to prepare you for the hands-on workshop visiting various geological sites and preparing curricular materials in June.
Network with fellow geology educators--Participate in several exciting, hands-on activities in the field, and meet other Earth science teachers from across the state. Discuss what’s working and what’s not in your classrooms and share your tried-and-true methods for teaching about the geology of Iowa.
Degrees and Endorsements
Individual STEM Courses - Current Listing Continuing Education
- Biochemistry Courses
- Biology Courses
- Chemistry Courses
- Computer Science Courses
- Earth Science Courses
- Environmental Science
- Industrial Technology and Engineering Courses
- Science Education
STEM Standards & Standards Resources
Iowa Core - Iowa's Adopted Standards
National Standards that include STEM content
- Next Generation Science Standards, Achieve, 2013 (NGSS)
NGSS@NSTA - NGSS Implementation Resources from the National Science Teachers' Association
- Common Core - Common Core STEM Standards are found in the Common Core Math and Common Core English Language Arts Standards for Science and Technical Subjects
Common Core Home
Common Core Math - Standards for Mathematical Practice K-12 for Content Standards - select the desired grade level from the menu.
Common Core ELA Science and Technical Subjects
- NETS Standards for Students, Teachers, Administrators and Computer Science Educators
- 21st Century Skills (P21) - A Framework for 21st Century Learning
21st Century Skills Maps
- National Standards for Family and Consumer Sciences, National Association of State Administrators of Family and Consumer Sciences
Current Standards initiatives are built upon research in teaching and learning and previous standard reform.
- Standards & Focal Points, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Science Education Standards, National Academy Press, 1996
- Benchmarks for Science Literacy, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1993
- Standards for Technological Literacy, International Technology and Engineering Educators Association
- Considerations for Teaching Integrated STEM Education, J-PEER, 2012
- STEM Integration in K-12 Education, Board on Science Education
- Successful K-12 STEM Education, NAP, 2011
Assessment in STEM
- Developing Assessments for NGSS, NAP, 2014
- The Tallgrass Prairie Center's Prairie Roots Curriculum Supplement, 2017
- Ramps and Pathways
- Earth and Environmental Science Department Resources for Earth Science Teachers
- Succeeding with Inquiry in Science and Math Classrooms, NSTA & ASCD, 2013
- STEM Teaching Tools Overviews from University of Washington's Institute for Science + Math
- Sept 2016 Issue of INSIGHT Into Diversity is all about developing diversity in STEM on campus and in STEM fields.